Sunday, June 22, 2014

Week 4 - Shadows and Light

For this week's assignment, I took pictures where I camp. 
For this picture I was looking at the way the sun reflected off the silver around the fan. I had to fool around with it so it would be so bright in the shot. 


For this shot on a friends wood pile, I had to change the way it was bright in different spots. I took some of the color out and tried to make it more like the way the color should be for wood. The lower picture is the original. 

For this shot, I really wanted the focal point to be the red wire. 

Here is an empty swing that I also made b&w below. I liked how the sun created the shadow on the ground. I wished I could have gotten it more symmetric but I would have been in the shot. 

This is a decorative flower fan in one of the sites. I liked how the sun shows both the shadow and light of each pedal or blade. 

This is an empty ladder to the swing shown before. 


1 comment:

  1. Okay... nice series Sherard. Starting from the bottom, I'm pleased with how you filled the frame with the ladder and it shadow. This is all about seeing how a shadow can take on the same structural materiality as the object that's casting it in a photograph. You have a nice sense of proportion in the way you placed these two elements.

    Nice observation on the colorful window ornament. The light is pouring through, creating quite a bit of energy.

    I guess I preferred the black-and-white version of the swing. Again you have a good sense of design of proportion here.

    I do enjoy the simple observation of the wire fence and the way it gathers the light... filling in the frame with the design of the wire is good.

    The bottom version of the wood pile is superior as you color corrected the excess green out of it. On further tweak would be to lighten the upper third of it in the center, turning it into more of a focal point.

    Finally the top one... the rectangle of flashing grabs the viewer's attention and although there isn't much in the way of shadows contributing to the design it's still a nice observation of the way the light can work and its importance in establishing the focal point.

    All in all very a good job this week... keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete