Sunday, June 22, 2014

Shadows and Light - Maks Danilin

For this weeks assignment I tried to capture different shadows and light around the house and around town.  The first shot is my dog and the shadow of the blinds on half his face giving him a tiger look.   This was inspired by the "Gloredel" post of the women with shadow tears.  I debated whether to go b/w or to leave some of the color but in the end felt this one was stronger. 
For this shot I wanted to play with the idea of shadows interacting with objects.
 
This shot was inspired by the candle light shot by Vilhjálmur Ingi Vilhjálmsson.  The candle was emitting a blue light as well with dark rings and patterns surrounding it.  I increased the saturation and have been debating whether to crop out the background.
 This was a shot of the wind turbines on York Hill.  The turbines were spinning and the shadows kept moving creating difficultly to catch a great shadow shot.  I tried to darken the image to hide that the sky is blown out but I like the picture because of the unique design and landscape.


1 comment:

  1. Again an excellent series,Maks. I very much appreciate how you are looking at work of other photographers and posting links to the images that inspired what you were doing. This is how all artists work. It's a necessary component of growing in the medium.

    The wind turbine shot has a nicely edited sky and strong diagonal lines... nice composition.

    Candlelight is actually hard to photograph but it works well in this case... I like the ring of blue light being cast on the table. Your decision to increase the saturation of the shot was a good one.

    How fun and inventive! Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Your taking the time to line the shot up makes me smile.

    Finally the smile your dog is making also makes me smile! excellent job in observing the way shadow was falling across her face.

    Keep shooting!

    ReplyDelete