Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week 5 - Macros

For this weeks Macros assignment, I took a few shots everywhere I could. I did have a Macro setting on my camera, but like a few of the other students, alot came out blurry and had to take many shots of the target.
For this shot, I was at work and fooling around with the macro settings and wanted to try it out on my coffee mug. Once I got it home, I set it to very saturated because I wanted the green to really stand out. Also, I noticed the markings on the cup from use and abuse really stood out.


For the picture of this particular flower, its actually a piece of artwork in one of my bathrooms. I thought it would be an interesting piece to shoot, and I really like the coloring of it so I did not change anything. I got as close to it as I could to get this shot.

This next shot is an actually flower in my kitchen. I put it next to the picture window and snapped the picture. I had to crop the picture because of lighting and other objects that got in the shot. Once I cropped it, I changed the saturation and brightness to really bring out the colors in the flower against the backdrop of the woods.

This next picture was taken at the LEGO store in West Farms Mall. I thought it would look pretty cool with a cardboard box behind it. I had to change the saturation on this one as well because the cardboard came out really bright.

This shot was taken from some rocks I collected when I went Kayaking on the CT River. I brought them home for my 7 year old and placed them on the back porch. I like the design on the rocks and thought it really stood out with it being B&W and the red filter set.

Here is the same shot with color added and the brightness and saturation lessoned.
I lined up a few of my 7 year old LEGOs and made them all look at the camera. I made it B&W and customized the preset to get the front face to really stand out by using the high contrast red filter.


I have always enjoyed seeing pictures of sheet music and artist creating masterpieces, so I grabbed one of the music books laying around and took a close shot of one the pages. The lighting was poor but I liked how the picture came out because of it. It reminds me of shots of Miles Davis in the studio and the lighting was bad and pictures came out natural. So I left this shot alone.

This shot took about 100 trys because my do is so curious. So I had to get down on the floor with him just start snapping. I finally got a shot that I liked.

This shot is of an aisle of cuff links in a store. I like it in B&W so this is the result. The lighting was good and gave great reflection off certain links.  

1 comment:

  1. The reason this portrait of your dog works well is because of the directional light that illuminates his face and how he is looking into the light. The pile of towels is a little distracting though, drawing the viewer's eye away from his eye... which has a great highlight in it.

    I love the blue Lego shot... strong and simple. The blue set against the yellow was a great choice.See how setting up the shot a bit goes a long way to improving the work? It is my favorite of the series this week.

    The three rocks are pretty good... I like how the frame is filled with the edges cut off... it makes for a stronger composition. The Yellow flower artwork you photographed points the way to what a good macro flower shot can be. It fills the frame with the landscape of the single flower with nothing else to distract the composition. The shallow depth of field also serves to direct the viewer's eye to the sharp focal point in the center.

    ReplyDelete