Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sherard Savage week 3 assignment: Shapes, Shadows, and Lighting






These photos were taken from the First Congregational Church of Old Lyme. I found the building to be quite picturesque. The first photo I used an edit called Lomo-ish in Picaso but felt the picture (the white of the pillars) came out very saturated so I used the original for this post. The second picture I liked the vertical line separation for the steps and the stillness of the detail of  horizontal line in the pillar, and the way the border of the door had a one long brick and one short brick going all around it. For the last two photos, I wanted a close up shot of the lantern and the shadow right underneath it. I thought this was a great target because of the way the sun created the shadows on the church. I submitted two because one is a regular color, and I used the black and white editing option for the other in Picaso. After changing it, it was hard for me to tell the difference.

This shot was mainly for the tree shadow and repetition of the leaves coming out of the book at Hamden's Public Library. 

I added the edited version of the Cultural Center because of the creepiness of edit. I used Holga-ish and increased the grain to make is very Halloween-ie if you are into that. It gives me a feeling of a deserted building right before sunset that all the kids in the neighborhood are scared to go up to. 


I took this photo for the lines it had. I like the way the it is unfinished at the bottom even though the building needs to be repainted. 

I took the picture of the mail box for a few different reasons. The shadowing fell very well in the shot (including my own shadow that I had to crop out) and I liked the way the blue fell to the concrete. 

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Sherard! I like how you warmed up on the church and moved in closer by the third and fourth shot. That really is quite strong with the lines of the clapboard shadow and the lamp shadow.... the angle helps with the spacial illusion as well. The tight framing on the Hamden library is excellent as well... I like the flat space and the quality of light and the shadow of the tree cast on the wall. The editing in the second version is expressive... I like the comments you made on that.

    The simplicity of the white frame on the red clapboard in the next shot is well done. You lined up nicely and were thinking compositionally with strong symmetry. Finally I like your observation about the power of the blue mailbox against the neutral hue of the concrete.

    Super!

    ReplyDelete