Sunday, June 15, 2014

Week 3 assignment Beach/Creek or Stream

For this weeks assignment, my plan was to go to West Haven Beach and other parks in the New Haven area where there were some streams or flowing water like creeks. However, half of that plan failed when my truck died on Friday night. So I had to photograph some pictures of small creeks around my condo complex and had a friend drive me to West Rock to try catch some decent scenes. I tried fooling around with the image adjustments for the brightness and contrast to lighten the picture but it just was not working for me. I had the lines in it from the lasso and I just could not get the levels or contrast to come out right. Then after fooling around with the saturation and hue, the opened results was grainy and just really bad. So I am submitting the originals with minor tweaks to a few of them. Here is the result:
This is a shot of one of the streams by West Rock. After editing, this one came out really grainy and I could not get the lasso line out of the picture so I went with the original picture. 

To me this was a must take shot because of the lines of the tree. I felt like the lighting was good. for this shot because it is in the natural color tone for the tree. I went with the original here as well. 

This shot was taken at West Rock too. I like this shot because of the brightness of the rock from the sunlight. I feel your eye really focuses on the rock and what is greenery growing from it. I choose the original for this one as well.  


I found a father (on Father's day) fishing with his son at Lake Wintergreen and liked this shot of the fishing net sitting next to the rock. It seems as though one could sit on the rock and fish all day. The water behind the rock gives a sense of serenity. 

This is a stump near my condo. I like how the eye is drawn to the lines from the bark because of the green of the grass behind it. I took this shot a little above eye level to catch the hole in the top of the stump. 

I really enjoyed taking this shot. I really like how the green in the picture seems to be the theme even though the focal point is the stump. The greens really stand out because there are a few different shades of it. 

I actually turned this shot sideways because I did not like how it looked the way I shot it. I was much happier with it this way. 

This shot was taken at Lake Wintergreen in Hamden. I really liked how the ripples in the water overtake the rock underneath. It feels as though the water is shallow just past the rock and then you aren't really sure how deep it is after that. I like the unknowing feeling behind this photo. 

1 comment:

  1. Good Job... in the interest of showing you a few editing tricks. I'll repost some of your shots above... in most cases, I was interested in taking it up a notch...I always ask the question, where is the light, where's the focal point? How can I edit the picture to emphasize the focal point, and quiet the areas that support the focal point.

    ReplyDelete