Sunday, July 20, 2014

Week 8 - Maks Danilin



This has been a great class and I have learned a lot about the proper way to take a picture.  I always just took a picture and if it was in focus it was good enough for me.  Now I keep in mind what the subject is and the quality of light.  For this week’s assignment I did not focus solely on one style but used a few that interested me.  The first shot is of a small wooden sculpture that cast a shadow onto the wall.  I cropped the shot to keep the attention on the subject only.  I had to darken the image because the lacquer in the wood created too much of a shine.

 For the second shot, I did a macro shot of a flower.  This picture stood out to me because of the intricate design in the center of the flower as well as the designs of the petal in the background.  I increased the saturation of the shot to bring out the bright pollen and brown hues in the middle of the flower.
 This is a macro shot of the top of a mushroom.  The mushroom had a unique geometric design but due to its round shape it was hard to get in close and keep the shapes in focus.  I increased the sharpness of the shot and decided to leave the reflection of the mushroom.
 For the next shot, I wanted to do a window portrait / macro shot.  My dog is always with me when I am taking pictures so he helped out with this shot.  I wanted to capture the detail in the eye.  I cropped out most of the shot and decided to leave the eye in color to draw attention to what I wanted to show.  I felt that when it was all in color it wasn't as effective and when it was all b/w it lost emotion.
For this shot I managed to get a picture of a squirrel eating a berry.  This picture took about 100 tries but I managed to get a crisp one.  I like the intensity in the eye and the hands holding the berry.  I decided to crop the image because it was too busy in the background. 



2 comments:

  1. What I like most about your work is the intentionality of it. You have a very good grasp of the tools of the trade... that is, light, composition, proportion, etc. Everything counts. Nothing should be added or removed.

    You definitely have a future in photography, even professionally, if you want to keep pursuing this medium.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed looking at these photos. Great work Maks!

    ReplyDelete