Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 6 Window Light:"how to fry an egg"

First, let me start by saying I had to sign a waiver and a promissory note to take these pictures. I tried to take some pet photos but my dog was not cooperating so I only had one model but I think she enjoyed it. . Second, the difficulty of the assignment was ridiculous. I took around 2-300 pictures and  had to filter the ones you see below. You really have to be in charge to get the shot you want for this style. I was moving my target all over the place to get the right shot. Hopefully it worked. I enjoyed this assignment. 

I included this photo above as the "silhouette" style that was mentioned in the the instructional video. At first I was not going to upload I but figured to include that style in this weeks submission to show some understanding of it. 


I included both the original and a b&w for this shot. 



For this shot I had the target tilt her head toward the camera and look down. I think it gave the shot some life. At first I started to crop the neck and upper chest out but decided against it to keep the shadow of the blind true and in sync with the ones on her face. I also just noticed the black background for these shots. I had to take out the some of the yellow, cyan, and brightness of the bottom shot. The original was really bright.  



I really had to crop these shots. There was a few distractions surrounding the target. I think (hope) she did well as the model and I as the photographer. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job, Sherard! I appreciate your willingness to work hard with this assignment. The very strongest one of the series is the 4th one down. Everything came together nicely in this one... The placement of the head in the frame, the placement of the eyes, the turn of the head over the shoulder and especially the way light falls across the face. The one right below it is too tight... without space infront of her noes, she seems crammed into a sardine can. The last one has a nice composition and the best thing about it is the way light falls into her left eye, giving a presence to the shadow side of her face.

    As we become better photographers, we learn to crop by moving in and choosing the right focal length at the moment of exposure. Nevertheless, in cropping these, you are learning what good composition is so that in future sessions you will have a better understanding of how to frame a shot at the outset.

    The issue with releases has to do with money. When a picture of a person is used for a commercial purpose, where the photographer is compensated, a signed release is important to secure.

    ReplyDelete